Sunday, August 30, 2009

Some Days I Really Do Speak My Mind

Seriously, I thought to keep the blog religion and politics free. I figure at my age, nobody cares what I think. They probably do not care whether I think at all.

Throughout my life, my opinions have gotten me into more trouble and out of more jobs than I care to admit. Still, I do revere the First Amendment, and liberally partake of the protection it affords.

With that in mind, and also recalling my firebrand mentality ( my father calls it my short fuse) I feel the need to rebut an epithet recently flung at the Town Hall goers by the Speaker of the House.

While in this politically idiotic atmosphere, I have grown used to being offended by the current mores, I also realize that people of my gender, race and age have no recourse to this discrimination whatsoever. Still,
let me have my say on being called UNAMERICAN by Ms Pelosi.

Following is a letter I sent to her by e-mail the day after she made the remark. Let me also say that I sent e-mail letters to Senator Barbara Mikulski and to Senator Ben Cardin both of Maryland. None of these outstanding legisators had the decency or courtesy, nor did their aides, to even acknowledge my missive. Guess we know how I vote next year!

My missive to the Speaker is as follows:

Madame Speaker,

With all due respect: HOW DARE you brand Americans speaking their mind through the power and protection of the First Amendment as UNAMERICAN? UGLY Americans we may well be but Unamerican? I hardly think so.

I don't know enough about this Bill to be Unamerican. I attended the Town Hall Meeting in North East Md ( or what was advertised as a Town Hall Meeting) only to find it was supposesd to be a One on One meeting with the representative, in order to gather more information on a bill that is going to definitely impact MY life as a 60 something, I wanted to hear not only what he had to say, but what others thought as well.

Finally, after the crowd was not dispersing, it was decided that the representative would come out and speak. ( this is all that was required in the first place). I saw the power of the First Amendment in action that day and was suitably impressed.

The crowd was large by our standards. I saw no brown shirts or swastickas, brawls, or inordinately loud remarks. Remember, we are getting old. Perhaps one has to raise one's voice in order to be heard!

NO ONE, can, with any clarity divulge what is in this bill. All I hear is the speaker and the President say that the bill needs passage and it needs it now. WHY the rush? It took the President 6 months to decide on what kind of dog his kids were going to get. Why don't the American people deserve the same well-though out program? What is in this bull that you don't want us to know about until it is too late? There is something TERRIBLY wrong here. What the heck happened to transparency?

Again, with all due respect, I live in Cecil County BUT I, like you, am from Baltimore. In fact I went to Catholic High, the Cecil community college the Univ. of DE. In fact, we were probably hitching Catholic School uniforms above our knees at the same time!
Therefore I am not an uneducated rube that you seem to take me for.

I have learned through the school of hard knocks, that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. My 401 K is worthless, I am on a fixed income and my father is rolling in his grave that I am questioning the party. We have been registered Democrats in my family up to and until my son became a renegade! and here I am, obviously uninformed and unamerican! PLEASE! Do not insult my intelligence.

Have you READ this thing?????? If I wanted Communism I would move to Russia. Yes, I know there are planes leaving BWI every hour. This is MY country. I was born here. My father and my uncles fought in WWII to defeat the Fascists. My cousin and many boys I grew up with died in VIET NAM AND FOR WHAT????? FOR WHAT?????? So that the federal government in some faroff time for them, could pass legislation to decide when I die? Or so that the federal government can and will debit my bank account????? I think not!!!!! YES< I AM SHOUTING!!!

I have not missed an election since I turned 21, and I am not ready to be put on the ice floe yet. Not while there is breath in this body.

I plan to continue attending Town Hall Meetings, Unamerican Teabagger that I may be, until I fully understand. I may be old, but I do vote. I also know if it smells like fish, it probably is.

Thank you for whatever time you gave to this

PS. Don't bother reporting me to the white House snitch line. I already e-mailed them and reported myself!

No comments: